What may have started as a digital fad for young adults to connect, is now a powerful tool in any business’ online marketing arsenal. Especially in today’s economic climate, social networking is one of the most cost effective resources available to business. The only investment necessary to get started is some of your time.
What are the social networking sites?
There are several online social networking communities. The larger ones are Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and MySpace. Of these, Twitter is the current juggarnaut while MySpace, one of the originators of social networking, has gone the way of the dinosaurs. To give you an idea of Twitter’s impact, according to the Pew Internet Project, 19% of all US Internet users are on Twitter on a regular basis.
How can your business benefit?
- Social networking as a free form of marketing.
- Reach new clients via social networking and the resulting word of mouth.
- Your business’ reach on Google is expanded.
- Your business’ exposure to media outlets is increased.
- The volume of links pointing to your website is increased, as is your value on the search engines like Google.
- There are greater opportunities to network with other businesses and build partnerships.
- Social networking is an effective component of organic search engine optimization.