A website, like a house, requires pretty consistant maintenance and upkeep to get the best results. Some business owners mistakenly feel that once a web design is selected and the site is built, it’s completely done. Even if your web design and construction is spot on, however, this is not the case.
A website is your business’ presence online. It can be your first point of contact with a potential client or a tool for maintaining contact with your established client base.
While it is possible for a new site to bring results initially, the truth of the matter is that any website must reflect the direction of your business and continue to meet client needs for the long haul. Consistant evaluation of how well your site meets the needs of customers and determining just how visible you are in comparison to your competition on the search engines is a must.
In a nutshell, launching a new web design or maintaining a website successfully requires planning. This involves :
- defining the immediate and future goals of a site
- establishing a way of measuring site performance in light of these goals
- consistantly review these measurements – site traffic, navigation patterns, search engine ranking, referring sites, etc
- adjusting your web design, functionality and seo strategy based upon your metrics
- re-evaluating if the goals for your site match the reality of your business
Making sure your website and business work towards the same goal is an ongoing process.